The Chase


Caleb crept through the stacks of crates which held all the parts needed to repair the disabled constabulary ship that had been chasing the Sky Serpent. He could hear the hum of the engines, an occasional hiss of steam and the muted conversations of the skeleton crew needed to keep the ship moving. Just as he reached the door to go below deck a creak in the rigging holding the balloon in place up above made him jump. Looking around nervously he didn’t see any threats. Was that a distant roll of thunder? he thought.

Quickly, he opened the door and gently eased himself down the steps. His stomach growled loudly as he headed down the corridor to the galley. A single lantern on the wall of the galley was the only light, and it cast large shadows that he followed to the kitchen. The tables he passed were cleaned and already set up for breakfast. He reached the refrigerator and opened the door causing a loud hiss of steam. Looking inside he found a left over cup of soup and some small loaves of bread. Grabbing the soup and a loaf of bread he turned to head back up on deck. A creak in a floor board behind him alerted him that he was not alone, and he quickly moved to the shadows. The cook had entered the dining room and was headed towards the kitchen. He passed by Caleb with just a couple of feet between, but didn’t notice him.

Opening the refrigerator, the chef rustled through the shelves. He stood back and scratched his head, “Where in the cogs did my soup get to!” he mumbled. He reached back in and grabbed a loaf of bread and a block of cheese. “I guess this will have to do,” he said. “I am going to have to have a talk with those lackeys tomorrow.” With that he turned and walked right past Caleb again.

After Caleb knew the chef was gone he let out a breath of air. He hadn’t realized he had held his breath the whole time. He quickly snuck back to his hiding place on deck. He had just settled back into place and opened the cup of soup when a shadow engulfed him. Looking up, Caleb realized he was staring into the face of the captain.

***

The captain leaned back in his chair, studying Caleb with a scrutinizing gaze. The dim light of the cabin flickered, casting shadows that danced across the maps strewn across the table. The rhythmic hum of the airship's engines reverberated through the metal hull.

"So, you're telling me you stowed away on my airship to rescue your kidnapped father?" the captain mused, tapping his fingers on the worn-out map. Caleb nodded, a mix of desperation and determination in his eyes. How the captain had snuck up on Caleb in his hiding place he couldn’t know, but he did know being discovered could end with him being sent home.

"Look, Captain, I know I shouldn't have done this, but I didn't know where else to turn. I heard your ship was heading to aid the disabled vessel that was chasing the pirates who took my father. I just... I had to do something," Caleb explained, his voice filled with a blend of anxiety and hope.

The captain sighed, his stern expression softening just a fraction. "Kid, you've put me in a difficult position. Stowing away on a constabulary airship is a serious offense, and I could have you tossed off this vessel right now."

Caleb looked the captain in the eye. “Back home we don’t have a lot of trust in the constabulary,” he took a slight pause trying to choose his words wisely, “the constables in our neighborhood are known to be extortionists, so you will have to excuse my hesitancy in trusting that you will do everything possible to get my dad back.”

The captain leaned on the table and looked absently at his maps. After some time, as the captain continued to look at his maps, Caleb realized that he was trying to come up with the right words to say back.

Eventually however, he stood and looked Caleb in the eye. “I understand the dilemma that you are faced with. I know that there is corruption in the constabulary.” He sighed and shook his head. “I am a third generation constabulary air ship captain,” he pointed to two pictures on the wall, “The one on the left is my father and the other is my grandfather. At the end of my father’s service, just before he retired, he came to me at the academy and told me that if I didn’t want to be an airship captain it would be okay with him. He said that the constabulary was no longer the pinnacle of law and order working at the service of the people. He said that it had turned into such a political spider web he could no longer support it.”

“I decided to stay however,” he gave a half smile, “I believe that change starts with the workers. If I can show others a better way, then slowly things will start to turn around. I want you to know that I would happily give my life to save your dad’s if that is what was needed. I would even give my life for the pirate that took your dad, if that meant that he would get rehabilitated and become a contributor to society. I take my oath to the people very seriously. You will not find any corruption onboard this vessel. Which brings me around to the rules about stowaways.”

Caleb's heart sank, but he mustered the courage to speak. "Please, Captain, I'll do whatever it takes to make it right. I'm not a troublemaker, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing while my father’s in danger."

The captain leaned forward, his gaze piercing through Caleb. "You've got guts, I'll give you that, but I can't ignore the rules. That said, I might have a proposition for you."

Caleb looked up, a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

"We're short-handed, and we're heading into potentially dangerous territory. If you're willing to work alongside my crew and follow orders, I might be able to arrange something. But one wrong move, and I won't hesitate to throw you off this airship," the captain warned.

Caleb nodded eagerly, gratitude welling up in his chest. "Thank you, Captain! I won't let you down, I promise."

The captain leaned in across the table. "You’d better not. We'll be reaching the disabled ship by dawn if the storm doesn’t slow us down too much. You follow orders, and maybe, just maybe, you'll find a way to help your old man."

As the captain opened the door, he turned back to Caleb. "Welcome aboard, lad. But remember, trust is earned, not given freely. Prove yourself, and we might just get along."

Caleb found himself up on deck hurriedly helping the other sailors with tying down the ship's ropes in preparation for the coming storm. He could see the lightning now, the storm was getting close.

After everything was secure, a sailor showed Caleb to his cabin which had six hammocks and a wash stand. The sailor pointed to an empty hammock, “Best that you get in and get as much sleep as you can. Once that storm hits, things are going to get rocky and sleep will be hard to come by.”

As Caleb waited for sleep to overtake him he played back in his mind what the captain had said. He had never heard anyone say that they would give their life for another person. Especially for someone they didn’t know, and he had said he would even do it for a criminal! This would be a man that he could truly respect.

With that, Caleb found himself thrust into a new world of steam-powered machinery, brass fittings, and a crew of seasoned constables. Little did he know that his journey had just begun, and the steampunk skies held more surprises and challenges than he could ever have imagined.



These things have I spoken unto you, that joy might remain in you, and that

your joy might be full.

This is my commandment, That you love one another, as I have loved you.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:11-13 KJVLite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hope

Abducted!

LOYALTY TESTED